Choosing a Breeder to Buy a Pet From
Cats and dogs can be our best companions. They can be loyal and playful. They will be by our side when everyone else turns their backs on us. There is no wonder why many people prefer to keep cats and dogs as their pets over other animals. If you are looking for a dog or a cat, you can always get one but there are a few things that you need to pay attention to. You need to make sure that the puppy or the kitten that you are buying is healthy and comes with a good blood line. You may want to adopt a dog or a cat but just in case you don’t want that to happen, you must look for purebred kitten or puppy. This can be real challenge because there are numerous factors that you need to consider before you buy a kitten or a puppy.
Choosing Cat Breeders
They purr and they rub their head and body against you! That’s how the kittens and cats show their love and friendship and they can be as adorable as dogs. So, if you are looking for a purring friend, you have two choices. First, adopt a cat or a kitten and second, opt for a purebred kitten. Of course, adopting a cat will show your loving heart and will give that poor orphaned cat a home. Still, if you are looking for a purebred kitten, you are kind and you have a good heart. If you are opting for a purebred kitten, make sure that you select the right breeder. This is not an easy task at all but it is not impossible. Start with cat associations, friends and vets. They can give you precious information on the most reputed and either cat breeders in market. As an additional step, you can go for a research on your own. Start combing the Internet. There will be several websites that will provide unbiased reviews of various cat breeders in market and they will generally provide both pros and cons of the breeders.
When you get the list of breeders with maximum references, you can then visit them individually and ask the following:
- • Ask them to show their registration and affiliation certificates. They must be affiliated to some cat breeders’ association.
- • If they show you the affiliation certificate, you need to visit their breeding area and see if they follow the stringent breeding criteria set by the association they are affiliated with. For this you will need to know those criteria. So, you will also have to go through the guideline before you visit a breeder. All cat associations will have a copy of the guidelines that you can access from the Internet.
- • Carefully inspect the health of the kitten you wish to buy. Look for signs of diarrhea, Cat Flu and physical injuries. If you see that the health conditions aren’t good, you must terminate all possibilities of business with that breeder.
- • Ask the breeder about the number of litters produced each year. If the number is high, the likelihood of the breeder not taking proper care of the kittens and the breeding cats increases. So, make sure that the breeder is passionate about cats and kittens and not just trying to make more money by producing more kittens.
- • The breeder must give you all necessary information like spaying, neutering, general health problems associated with the breed, degree of medical attention required, personality traits etc.
- • The breeder must also ask you question about how you intend to take care of the kitten and whether you are ready to make changes at your home depending on the personality traits of the kitten.
Choosing a Dog Breeder
Consider once again, is there a possibility of adopting a grown up dog? They too need a home and loving masters! No? Okay, when you are out looking for a good breeder for dogs, the first thing that you need to look at is the reputation of the breeder. Reputation speaks a lot especially when you are looking for a purebred puppy. An ethical breeder will always ensure that all the litters are very well treated and taken care of. The breeder will ensure that the puppies are all dewormed and are provided proper medical assistance from the beginning to ensure that they stay healthy and free of any kind of health problems. A reputed breeder will also ensure that bad temperament is not bred into the puppies and hence, the puppies the breeder sells will grow up into well-mannered dogs. The question is, ‘how to find a reputed dog breeder because everyone will claim to the best?’ This is an obvious problem and hence, the best thing to do is to ask for references from Dog Societies, vets and friends. The information you receive from them will be authentic. It is always suggested that you gather information from multiple sources and then compare. This will help you to narrow down on a few reputed breeders.
If you are still not satisfied, you can do some research on your own. The best place to start is the Internet. It is vast resource of information and there are chances that you may be deceived by false or masked information. So, look for websites that give unbiased reviews of various dog breeders. Select a few breeders that you think are good and then visit all of them one by one. When you visit any breeder, there are a few things that you must pay special attention to. These are mentioned below:
- • The breeder must be affiliated to some breeders’ association and must strictly follow the breeding guidelines set by the association.
- • Ask for affiliation proof along with registration proof.
- • Find out the number of litters they breed each year. The greater the number, the higher are the chances that the breeder will not give proper care to the puppies and the breeding dogs. Steer clear of such breeders.
- • Ask them to show the kennels and the conditions where the puppies are kept. Good breeders will ensure that the kennels are clean and that the puppies are maintained properly. Those who don’t have proper hygienic kennels or don’t take proper care of the pups will not easily show you the place.
- • Ask the breeder to show the registration document of the pup and also ask if the pup has been micro chipped or not. If yes, registration certificate will have the details.
Remember that a good and ethical breeder will have nothing to fear about and will show positive responses to all your questions and requests. In fact, a responsible breeder will ask question to you about how you intend to take care of the pup. This is because, the breeder loves his pups and dogs and wants to ensure that they get a good family.
Remember that dogs and cats are great pets and you are doing a great job by giving at least one of them a home to live and a loving family. However, you must also understand that buying an unhealthy kitten or pup will cause numerous troubles and that must be avoided.